Human rights come alive at Canada's new national museum on July 1 with music and family‐friendly programming throughout the day. The Canadian Museum for Human Rights will offer musical performances, participatory activities, a scavenger hunt, as well as tours and programs designed to spark thought and conversation about human rights. July 1 to 7 is also Canada History Week.
The Israel Asper Tower of Hope will also glow maple‐leaf red on Wednesday night from dusk to dawn in honour of our country's birthday. Three Canadian flags will fly from dawn July 1 to dawn July 2.
Combined with other activities at The Forks, high numbers of visitors are expected on Canada Day at the Museum – a great place for visuals and interview opportunities focused on our country's achievements and challenges. The Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on July 1, which also makes it the perfect spot to visit before the fireworks begin!
WHAT: Canada Day performances and programs at the CMHR
WHEN: July 1, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
PLUS: Glowing RED Tower of Hope – July 1 starting at dusk
WHERE: CMHR, 85 Israel Asper Way
*To arrange access into the Museum, please contact Louise Waldman (contact information below)*
Entry into the Museum is subject to regular admission fees ($15 for adults).
11:30 a.m. — Winnipeg Youth Chorus, Bonnie & John Buhler Hall (Level 1) — free
1:30 p.m. – Music in the Garden of Contemplation (Level 3): French Press — acoustic performance by Franco‐Manitoban singer‐songwriter Chantal Emond
4 p.m. – Music in the Garden: William Prince, First Nations singer‐songwriter
7:30 p.m. – Music in the Garden: French Press — Chantal Emond
Activities (throughout the day)
- "Ideas for Your Visit" (family orientation) – Bonnie & John Buhler Hall (Level 1)
- Scavenger hunt – starts in Bonnie & John Buhler Hall (Level 1)
- Hands‐on craft activity for families, Rights Take Flight – Canadian Journeys gallery (Level 2)
- Participatory activity for families, Rights on the Move – Level 5 Terrace
- Share your thoughts: complete "On Canada Day, I imagine…." cards — Inspiring Change (Level 7)
- Interpretation from the Israel Asper Tower of Hope, 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.
"Explore the Galleries" tours in English or French offered at 10:30 a.m.and 1:30 p.m. (90 minutes) and at 11:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. (60 minutes). Additional fee ($5 for adults) on top of admission.