Human rights come alive at Canada's new national museum on July 1 with music and family-friendly programming throughout the day. The Canadian Museum for Human Rights will offer musical performances, participatory activities, a scavenger hunt, as well as tours and programs designed to spark thought and conversation about human rights. July 1 to 7 is also Canada History Week.
The Israel Asper Tower of Hope will also glow maple-leaf red on Wednesday night from dusk to dawn in honour of our country's birthday. Three Canadian flags will fly from dawn July 1 to dawn July 2.
Combined with other activities at The Forks, high numbers of visitors are expected on Canada Day at the Museum – a great place for visuals and interview opportunities focused on our country's achievements and challenges. The Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on July 1, which also makes it the perfect spot to visit before the fireworks begin!
WHAT: Canada Day performances and programs at the CMHR
WHEN: July 1, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
PLUS: Glowing RED Tower of Hope – July 1 starting at dusk
WHERE: CMHR, 85 Israel Asper Way
*To arrange access into the Museum, please contact Louise Waldman (contact information below)*
Entry into the Museum is subject to regular admission fees ($15 for adults).
11:30 a.m. — Winnipeg Youth Chorus, Bonnie & John Buhler Hall (Level 1) — free
1:30 p.m. – Music in the Garden of Contemplation (Level 3): French Press — acoustic performance by Franco-Manitoban singer-songwriter Chantal Emond
4 p.m. – Music in the Garden: William Prince, First Nations singer-songwriter
7:30 p.m. – Music in the Garden: French Press — Chantal Emond
Activities (throughout the day)
- "Ideas for Your Visit" (family orientation) – Bonnie & John Buhler Hall (Level 1)
- Scavenger hunt – starts in Bonnie & John Buhler Hall (Level 1)
- Hands-on craft activity for families, Rights Take Flight – Canadian Journeys gallery (Level 2)
- Participatory activity for families, Rights on the Move – Level 5 Terrace
- Share your thoughts: complete "On Canada Day, I imagine…." cards — Inspiring Change (Level 7)
- Interpretation from the Israel Asper Tower of Hope, 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.
"Explore the Galleries" tours in English or French offered at 10:30 a.m.and 1:30 p.m. (90 minutes) and at 11:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. (60 minutes). Additional fee ($5 for adults) on top of admission.