Share your story online – Terms and conditions
The purpose of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights’ (CMHR) Share your story web feature is to provide a platform for you to share your human rights stories and experiences with others who use the Share your story web feature.
These terms and conditions relate to any and all materials you submit to the Share your story web feature, including written submissions, video, sound and images.
All material submitted if displayed, is publicly accessible. As the Internet is a public, dynamic medium, be advised that you cannot “un-share” content that you have already posted online. Think carefully about your intent and the consequence of publication of any of your submissions.
When you share your story with us:
- Keep your story relevant to the specific question or topic you are responding to.
- Avoid repetitive posting. Duplicate stories will not be posted again.
- Be respectful and courteous, keeping in mind that this content is public.
- Avoid linking to external sites in your submission. The CMHR reserves its right to reject any submissions with external links.
- Your story must be created and owned by you, including any images, text or videos included in your submission. Breaking copyright rules is not permitted. If the majority of your submission was written or created by someone else, even with a proper credit, it will not be accepted.
- Your story must abide by our online code of conduct. Note especially that, offensive content, including offensive statements on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or mental or physical disability is strictly prohibited.
The following content is also strictly prohibited:
- Pornography, vulgarity, obscenity or sexually explicit content;
- Hate speech;
- Threats or harassment;
- Personal attacks, insults and defamatory statements; and
- Suggestions about committing a criminal act.
- Respect other people’s privacy. Do not include personal information about other people in your submission (such as phone numbers and email addresses) or details about private dialogue.
- Do not submit content unless you are 18 or older. You will be asked to confirm your age.
Only selected submissions will be published for public viewing. The CMHR may edit your submission for length, size, clarity or otherwise to conform to these terms and conditions. We may also edit your submission for length, size or clarity. The CMHR cannot guarantee that all submissions to the Share your story web feature will be posted. The CMHR has no obligation to store or archive the input provided by users.
When you submit material to the Share your story web feature, you consent to the CMHR's collection and use of your personal information for display online and through social media. You also grant the CMHR a non-exclusive right to use the material as part of the CMHR’s Share your story web feature, social media channels and other communications outlets, until you withdraw your consent, without any payment or compensation to you. This may include use in non-commercial promotional materials such as newsletters. The CMHR will contact you for your consent if we plan to use your story, in whole or in part, in any capacity outside of the Share your story web feature, CMHR social media platforms or other communication channels.
All personal information collected by the CMHR is governed by the Privacy Act. This means that you have the right to access your personal information while it is under the CMHR's custody or control. You can also request that the CMHR remove your Share your story submissions from the web feature. For more information about the CMHR’s privacy practices, or to access your personal information or have it removed from the Share your story web feature, please consult the CMHR's Privacy Statement.
The CMHR reserves the right to update these terms and conditions at any time. We may provide notice to you of material revisions by means of a general notice on the CMHR's website. Your continued provision of your personal information to the Share your story web feature after these revisions are posted will signify your agreement to these revised terms.
The CMHR reserves the right to refuse a submission or remove any content from the Share your story web feature that does not follow the terms and conditions outlined here.
Submissions are not continuously monitored, and this website is not a means to engage with law enforcement or emergency services. If you or someone you know is in danger, please call your local emergency services.