Book Your School Visit
Welcome Back Schools!
All teachers are invited to book a school program at the Museum. There are many spaces available and booking a school visit could not be easier! All bookings are handled on a first come, first served basis. Call us at 204-289-2253 or 2227 or write us an email at education [at] humanrights.ca. Start by filling out our online fillable Education Program Booking Request form and click “Submit”. We are pleased to offer age-appropriate curriculum-linked school programs focused on human rights.
How to make a school visit booking
- Open the fillable Education Program Booking Request form and send us your completed form by clicking the Submit button.
- Call us at 204-289-2253 or 2227 if you have questions or if you need assistance in filling out the form.
- We will email, fax or mail you an acknowledgement that we have received your request.
- We will determine whether we can accommodate your request.
- If your first choice of date is not available, we will check availability for your second and third choices and call or email you to let you know if an alternate date is available.
- You will receive an email or fax confirming your registration, along with a School Booking Contract form.
- If we are unable to accommodate you, we will let you know.
- Sign the School Booking Contract form and return to us at education [at] humanrights.ca or by fax at 204-289-2001.
- The booking is not confirmed until we have received your signed School Booking Contract.
- Approximately four (4) weeks before your visit, we will send you an information package by to help you prepare for the visit.
- We will also send you a reminder email a few days before your visit.
Option 1 - Pre-payment
Pre-payment. You can pre-pay your visit to the Museum at the time of booking. We accept cash, cheque or credit cards. Note that you will be charged for the number of participants indicated at the time of booking and that there are no refunds if your group arrives with fewer participants than planned on the day of your program.
Option 2 - Purchase Order
Payment for school programs may be made by automated purchase order. Please send the purchase order to the Museum so we can input it into our registration system. We cannot accept a purchase order on the day of your visit; we will require it in advance. Please make your own payment arrangements with your school or school division. Purchase orders will be invoiced on the day of your program. You will be charged for the number of participants indicated on the School Booking Contract. Should you expect a change in the number of participants in your group, you are responsible for advising us 48 hours in advance of your visit by calling us at 204-289-2253 or writing us at education [at] humanrights.ca to avoid additional charges.
Option 3 - Payment on Arrival
Payment can also be made upon arrival at the Museum. You will be charged for the number of participants indicated on the School Booking Contract. Should you expect a change in the number of participants in your group, you are responsible for advising us 48 hours in advance of your visit by calling us at 204-289-2253 or writing us at education [at] humanrights.ca to avoid additional charges.
We accept cash, cheque or credit card pending an accompanying authorized signature. Make cheques payable to the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. Please note: There are no refunds.
School Group Costs
- School rate: $5 per student per program (GST included) guided or self-guided.
- The maximum group size for regular school programs is 36 students
- Teachers, required adult student-helpers, and dedicated student-helpers receive free admission on a school program visit. Others accompanying the group will pay general admission rates.
- School groups must be supervised by teachers and adult student-helpers at all times.
Note: Your $5 per student school booking includes the school program of your choice plus one (1) hour on your own to visit the Israel Asper Tower of Hope, other galleries, or the Museum Boutique.
Teachers and adult student-helpers have an important role to play in ensuring school programs run smoothly. We will need your help to keep the group together, and to ensure that rules are being followed and behaviour is appropriate. We also need you to let us know of any special needs we can accommodate.
All required adult supervisors receive free admission when accompanying a school group. These are the required adult to student ratios for a school visit:
- K-6 groups: 1 adult for every 10 students (e.g. 36 students = 4 adults)
- Grades 7-12 groups: 1 adult for every 15 students (e.g. 36 students = 3 adults)
- Additional dedicated adult student-helpers for students with special needs are welcome at no cost.
- Others accompanying the group will pay general admission rates.
School programs are either 90 minutes or 2 hours depending on the program or tour you choose. They are offered mornings and afternoons from Tuesday to Friday. The CMHR is closed on Mondays. No more than four school programs can be booked in the same timeslot. A school program cannot be booked by more than one class at the same a time. Go to School Programs for more details.
- Start: 9:30 a.m., 9:45 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
- Start: 12:30 p.m., 12:45 p.m., 1:00 p.m., 1:15 p.m. and 1:30 p.m.
To plan your school visit, read about our School Programs designed for each grade level.
For more information about booking your school visit, please see our FAQs.
2017-02-26 12:00 to 16:00
2017-03-05 12:00 to 16:00
2017-03-12 12:00 to 16:00
2017-03-19 12:00 to 16:00
2017-03-26 12:00 to 16:00